Garlic is a familiar spice, has many meanings for life and health, so it is almost always present in every kitchen. Therefore, creating a clean source of garlic available to ensure family use is really essential.
There are many different ways to grow garlic, but not every family has enough space or land to grow it. Accordingly, there is a way to grow hydroponic garlic in plastic bottles that many housewives transmit to each other and apply. It looks very sketchy, but it is quite effective.
- Techniques for growing garlic in plastic bottles
Growing garlic in plastic bottles is quite simple, does not require many techniques. All it takes is a little time, a few plastic bottles and some dried garlic. The steps to grow garlic are carried out as follows:
– Depending on the amount of garlic you want to plant, decide how much to cut the bottom of the bottle. Each cut retains a length of about 5-7cm.
– Choose the healthiest garlic bulbs, not damaged, rotten, peeled, washed and soaked in water for 12 hours.
After soaking, take out the garlic and put it in a bottle. Note that the top of the garlic bulb is facing up.
– Pour water up to the head of the garlic, do not submerge.
– Put the bottom of the bottle planted with garlic in a cool place. You can place them in the hallway or by the window to catch the sunlight.
With hydroponic garlic pots like these, you don’t need to take care of them. After planting, so that the garlic shoots will sprout and grow. After about 15 days, when the sprouts grow high, you can bring them to a styrofoam container, cover the bulbs with soil so that the garlic roots can grow quickly.
Garlic plants will flower after 2-3 months of planting. Up to this point, it is possible to harvest garlic cloves, creating electricity for garlic bulbs to thrive; You can also use garlic to make some delicious dishes.
The number of garlic leaves is corresponding to the number of garlic cloves of the bulb below. So when it is observed that about ½ of the garlic leaves begin to wither, it can be harvested.
- Characteristics of garlic
In our country, garlic is popular everywhere. Grown most in Ly Son – Quang Ngai, Khanh Hoa, Ninh Thuan; Some provinces such as Bac Giang, Son La and Hoa Binh also grow a lot of garlic.
– Garlic has a cylindrical real stem, with many leaves at the top and many auxiliary roots below.
– Garlic leaves are hard, straight, about 15-20 cm long, 1 – 2.5 cm wide. Leaves notched and slightly rough edges.
– Normally, in each leaf axils at the base, there will be a small bud, which will later develop into a clove of garlic. The garlic cloves are located in a circle created by the leaf sheaths, forming a garlic bulb lying on the ground.
– Garlic flowers grow at the top of a stiff branch that grows from the base called a garlic spike. Flowers usually appear around May – July.
The fruit comes out between September and October.
- Growing conditions of garlic plants
Garlic has good cold tolerance, so it can grow and develop in a temperature range of 18 – 20 degrees Celsius. And during garlic’s rooting, it needs a warmer temperature, about 20-22 degrees Celsius. When the day is full of 12 hours of light, the tubers will come out even faster.
Regarding the water regime, garlic needs to be watered at a moderate level. If watering too much will cause waterlogging, tuber rot; and if watered less, the tubers will be small.
- Uses of garlic
In foods and spices, garlic is an ingredient to enhance the aroma of stir-fried dishes; used to make dipping sauces. Some dishes cannot be without garlic such as stir-fried water spinach, garlic rimmed meat, fried meat with garlic sauce, stir-fried beef dishes, etc.
In medicine, garlic is also a medicine that has the ability to treat and prevent a number of diseases. Garlic contains many essential oils, vitamins A, B1, B2, C; antibacterial substances such as allycin, allycetoin I and II, allynin enzyme and nicotinic acid.
Often people use garlic to disinfect, regulate key functions such as liver disorders and endocrine glands; diabetes treatment; against diseases of the brain, arteriosclerosis, high blood pressure… Garlic-infused wine is effective for rheumatism, cardiovascular, bronchial, hemorrhoids, …